Sunday, October 16, 2011

My Ancestors' Geneameme


Old Family Bible Belonging to my Gr. Grandfather Samuel Walton

I have decided to join the fun with a Geneameme. I saw a post on Twitter  where a number of genealogy bloggers are typing things about themselves by making 40 statements about their genealogy and their genealogical research. I am not sure who started the Geneameme but it looks like fun, so I decided to join in as well. And I decided to enhance my list a little bit with a few images.

The Ancestors' Geneameme:
The list has been annotated in the following manner:
Things I have already done or found: bold face type
Things I would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things I haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type-not bolded [Comments are placed in brackets after each item ]

Which of these apply to you?

1. Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents [Ok, I can't do that, but I can name six--all of whom were slaves in the early 1800s, so that's not bad.] 
2. Can name over 50 direct ancestors [Yes]
3. Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents [Don't have 8, but I do have photos of 4 of them.]
L to R: Georgia Ann Houston Bass, Louis Mitchell Bass, Sallie Anchatubbe Walton, Samuel Walton

4. Have an ancestor who was married more than three times [Not more than three---but Gr. Grandpa Samuel Walton did make my gr. grandmother Sallie his third wife.]
5. Have an ancestor who was a bigamist [not found one yet]
6. Met all four of my grandparents [Only had my one grandparent--my dad's mother]
7. Met one or more of my great-grandparents [Yes, Sallie--we called her Nannie, was my heart.]
8. Named a child after an ancestor.
9. Bear an ancestor's given names.
10. Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland [Well according to 23andMe DNA company, I have 25% European ancestry (who knew?) but the several 3rd to distant cousins showing up on the family finder appear to be quite German. (again---who knew?) ]

11. Have an ancestor from Asia [Well 23andMe DNA---says I have 8% Asian. But it is probably the native ancestor showing up as DNA companies do not make a distinction between Asian and Native Am.]

12. Have an ancestor from Continental Europe [According to 23andMe I do]

13. Have an ancestor from Africa [Indeed, and from Nigeria/Niger according to three DNA tests] 

14. Have an ancestor who had large land holdings [Gr. Grandpa Mitchell Bass and son Irving had over 200 acres of land in SW Arkansas.]

Land Patent of Irving Bass

15. Have an ancestor who was an agricultural laborer [doesn't everybody?]
16. Have an ancestor who was a holy man--minister, priest, rabbi. [Two gr. grandfathers Louis Mitchel Bass and Samuel Walton were both ministers]
17.Have an ancestor who was a midwife. (Sallie Walton was a midwife in Skullyville, Ind. Territory)
18.Have an ancestor who was an author.
19.Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones
20.Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng (Not that I am aware of.)
21.Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X (None)
22.Have an ancestor with a forename beginnining with Z [None]
23.Have an ancestor born on 25th December [But I was born 4 days after.]
24.Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day [none]
25.Have blue blood in your family lines [Not to my knowledge]
26. Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth [No]
27. Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth [Does the Choctaw Nation count? My Grandfather Samuel was born in Ind. Territory before Oklahoma statehood]
28. Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century [Yes two were born in Virginia in the 1790s.]
29. Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier [uh, no]
30. Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents [Gr. Grandpa Samuel, Gr. Gr. Uncle Sephus Bass, and several X signatures of others.]
31. Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X [Yes]
32. Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university. [Yes an ancestor who graduated from Meharry Medical College in 1878. Another who graduated from Arkansas Agricultural, Mechanical & Normal in the 1890s.
33. Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offence [Yes, Jackson Crow my g[r. gr. uncle was an outlaw from the Choctaw Nation, who was tried in front of Judge Parker -the hanging judge. Sigh... he lost his case.]
34. Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine [Yes--See Finding Uncle Sephus]
35. Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime [Jackson Crow took the rap!]
36. Have published a family history online or in print [Black Indian Genealogy Research]
37. Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries [See:  In Honor of Patrick]
38. Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family [No]
39. Have a family bible from the 19th Century [Yes, I have Samuel Walton's Bible]

19th Century Family Bible

40. Have a pre-19th century family bible. (No)

4 comments:

GeniAus said...

Angela, I appreciate you taking the time to join the meme.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses – I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post.

Kristin said...

I like the way you added photos and stuff. I wasn't going to do this meme but you have inspired me. I will do it tomorrow. And I have to go check that Bible my grandfather inherited from his brother who got it from someone who was gifted it in the 1800's . Does that count?

Angela Y. Walton-Raji said...

Thanks Geniaus for starting the meme! It was tons of fun and I am enjoying reading others as well!

Angela Y. Walton-Raji said...

Kristin,

I would think that it would count!
Looking forward to reading yours!