Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"Till Justice Rolls Down Like Water..........."


Although today is not the holiday, today is his birthday.

I never met him or saw him, or heard him in person, but I was still impressed by him. And when I was a child, I was at a loss of words, I only knew he was a leader among leaders, and though I did not have the words to articulate what I saw and felt, but I was glad he was there.

I learned that he was a man of faith, word, courage, and action. He was also a son, a husband, a father, a brother, and to so many he was a leader. And as I grew, I continued to hear about him, and learned that he was making changes in the world. A movement had begun. I didn't fully understand it, and I never had the words to articulate what I was seeing, but I knew it was going on, he was part of it, and he was making a difference.

I had heard what he did in Montgomery, and I remember watching the March in 1963, on our black and white television, and I knew that changes were quickly coming. I heard my parents compare the changes that they had witnessed in their lifetime, and I also saw the transformation of a society to something different.

I was never sure how to articulate the changes that I saw--but they were there. The signs of "white" and "colored" began to disappear in my hometown, and little did I know that even in my tiny world as a child, the old order was fading.

Then the man of courage and wisdom was taken by an assassin's bullet, but yet, the movement could not be stopped. The movement was bigger than the man himself. I marveled for some time at how even his death could not stop the progress that had begun. I never had to words to articulate what had happened.

The world continued to change and still evolves. I am still baffled by many of those changes, but I finally found the right words. The words came from the same man. He was part of a movement that was destined to bring about change, because he was willing to fight "till justice Rolls down like water and righteousness like a mighty stream"

Happy Birthday, Dr. King!

2 comments:

True Lewis said...

Happy Birthday Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kristin said...

I love that quote. Powerful post.