Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Countdown: A Christmas Story by John Henry Faulk

(click on this link to hear the story)

Most of us have ancestors who came from simpler times, simpler places where Christmas was appreciated when candy canes, big bright oranges, and nuts were among the treats for children. My own grandmother as well as my mother, often spoke of the fruit, nuts and candy and simple these treats were always in our home in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I found this old NPR Christmas story last  year and found that it was a heartwarming tale, and thought during this week before Christmas that I would share the story with you all here. The story, set in the American south speaks to a spirit of sharing and reflects a season where families of all backgrounds can come together, in friendship and understand the spirit of what this represents.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do hearing it again and again.

 May we all appreciate the spirit of this season, and may your hearts also be warmed.


2 comments:

Kristin said...

I love this story! it always brings tears to my eyes. That and the story about German and British troops singing carols together on Christmas during WW1.

Angela Y. Walton-Raji said...

This story is so moving. Yes, I also like the story of the soldiers on the battlefield singing carols. I understand after that incident, they had to remove them as they did not have the heart to break their spirit of peace. Now that is what the season of Christmas is all about.